Dealing with Les Cannaday (Long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Dealing with Les Cannaday (Long)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:47:48 -0700
Hello All,

I know it is somewhat taboo to laud a vendor on the list, but after my
experience today I couldn't help but share this.

As you may have read on the list, I had a u joint problem. On Easter Sunday,
I drove the car down to CDM and it felt like my bones were going to shake
out of my skin it was so bad. Les was not there, so I dropped the keys into
the mail box and got a ride home with a friend.

Les comes back to his shop, sees my car and without knowing what the hell is
up checks his email and finds the posts about my issue. He puts the car up
on the lift and sure enough my drive shaft is just about to fall off. Also,
he notices my shocks are shot and sends me an email recommending I replace
them. Now mind you, as far as I know he hasn't even seen the car yet.

So I get the email and tell him to go for it. Now his shop is FULL of cars,
most of them from people who are screaming at him to get cars ready for
Solvang. I catch a ride down there today to go pick up the car. When I get
there, Les tells me that the U joint on the 64 1500 is different than the
late model cars and he doesn't have one right now for my car. I figure that
I am out of luck for Solvang. Les then says no problem AND LOANS ME THE
DRIVESHAFT FROM HIS OWN 63 1500. While he is installing the driveshaft and
my new shocks, I notice a black 1970 2000 sitting outside and ask him about
it. This is the MO BETUH car from the magazine of 1999. 2 liter, solexed and
tricked to the outer limits. Wild black and tourqoise interior. This car is
awesome and it is a shame that it has lived most of the past years in
storage. Les tosses me the keys and says "take it for a spin".

The car is awesome. Great acceleration, braking and handling. Smooth
shifting and great power. I had a GREAT time driving the car and there is a
good chance it might be for sale. A great car that is TOTALLY clean.

I get back and then Les goes over just about every little detail about my
car. You need new tires, you should use the stock air filter instead of the
K&Ns, I've got a replacement choke cable for your busted one, and on and on
and on. Do you think I will see a bill for all that time? I don't think so.
He'll hit me for the shocks, the driveshaft, and the labor, but every time I
go there I get a whole lot more.

Thanks Les.

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500