Re: names

To: andycost@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: names
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:00:46 -0700
All,

I have often wondered how some of the people came up with the names for
their cars. Some people choose to name their cars and others do not. I have
two cars and have names for them both. One I chose myself, the other was
inherited from the P.O. I kinda like this thread. I wonder how the names get
chosen. Here's mine.

My 1964 1500 is named Jenny. As most of you know, I recently purchased the
car from Leigh Brooks. He named the car and it suits her. The car is
definitly female and has lots of style, grace, and class. She is not a fast
car, but she turns heads and that is what I want from her. So I like the
name and it will stay with her for as long as I have her.

My 1967 2000 Solex is named Hiro. I like the obvious homonym to the word
"Hero". It is a Japanese name for a Japanese car. The car is definitly male.
He is strong, fast, and brings out the testosterone. I got the idea for his
name from the P.O. as well. His name was Hiro. He was a Japanese national
living and working in the U.S. He had purchased the car intending to restore
it and take back to Japan with him. For whatever reason, he never did and
sold the car to me in 1999. I remember thinking Hiro (the P.O.) was very
crafty when we were negotiating. He feigned ingnorance of the English
language until I asked "How much?" Then he would miraculously understand me
until I would ask a specific question about the car. Then he would not
understand me again. We fought a heroic duel and I remember when I finally
got him down to what I thought was a fair price for the car, that I had
"won" and I was the Hero. The name stuck.

Sometimes names don't mean much, but sometimes they do.

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500 "Jenny"
1967 2000 "Hiro"
SoCalROC