Rough idle, #2 ain't firing...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rough idle, #2 ain't firing...
From: "Ken Pearce" <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:27:29 -0500
Well I decided to tune up the old SU's this past weekend since she was
running a bit rough.  I found that at low idle, the #2 cylinder isn't
firing.  I swapped the plug wire with #3 to see if the problem moved, but it
didn't.  The car runs fine as soon as the rpms get about 1200 or so.  Any
ideas?  Timing?  (I'm going to check that this week)

Here's my method for setting the SU's,

1.)  Mixture settings out, all the way rich, then in about 3 turns
2.)  I then use an airflow meter to balance the carbs.
3.)  Then I lean them out to get a smooth idle making sure not to lean them
out too much.  I disable one carb by lifting the plunger and make sure that
the engine can still run on one carb (albeit rough).  If it stalls, I make
it richer again.

Here's where I have another question.  I can run the front carb all the way
lean, and the engine will still run on that carb when disabling the rear.
???

Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

(Or maybe a "tune-up Ken's car at Brian's house" party!  I'll bring the
beer!  Brian?  Sean?  Any takers?)

Cheers!

Ken Pearce, 68-2000 (only a 1500 at idle though)
Bellingham WA,
s/v Shantih