Luggage Rack

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Luggage Rack
From: Tom Duffy <tomuo@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 19:58:18 -0700
Do any of the roadster vendors have complete or parts for the
chrome luggage rack?

When my '68 1600 was repainted (badly), the mounting holes were
 covered up, and a couple of the bars/parts were lying in the boot
(the trunk for US people) for many years.

I've searched all over, but I can't find any Datsun luggage racks.

On an electrical note, I have refitted the guage voltage regulator
with a solid-state (electronic) regulator. The original regulator
works by disconnecting the output temporarily when an internal
spring wire bends due to heat from wire wrapped around it. It
then cools down and reconnects. All this movement eventually
weakens the wires which break.
I never had a working one to find out what the average output
voltage is, but the original regulator would not probably be that
well calibrated, maybe producing 13-14V on average.
The electronic one I have in there now will regulate to a
precise 12V, so I wonder if my Oil Temp guage is now reading
persistently low.
Has anyone done this before, or would you like more details of
the modification? (I'll have to take it apart again for pictures)

Thanks,

Tom.

'68 SPL311