rear wheel bearing question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: rear wheel bearing question
From: Tom Stockman <ftuck@frii.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:26:42 -0600 (MDT)
I'm about to rebuild the rear wheel bearings on my 300K+ mile 1600.  Tom
Walter's most excellent FAQ speaks of the importance of maintaining the
proper "pre-load", done by carefully replacing the shims between the
backing plate & the axle--assuming the new bearings are the same thickness.

If they aren't the same thickness, Tom says to add/delete shims to make up
for it--so I'm assuming you add/delete the shims according to what that
difference is.

This is a used rear end I purchased a while back, so I don't know if a
previous owner did something to throw that off--or if tolerances on these
axles have changed over the many years & miles.

Here's my question!  Is there a way for me to determine what thickness I
actually need to get the proper pre-load?  I'm somewhat inventive, but don't
have a sophisticated toolset.  Any info would be much appreciated!

Tom Stockman
Morrison, CO
ftuck@frii.com

67.5 1600 Roadster 300K+ miles old