Re: Powder coating - cool stuff

To: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Subject: Re: Powder coating - cool stuff
From: "Teesun68" <teesun68@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:50:24 -0600
Pat,
    Yes you do have to heat it up - 400 F for 20-30 minutes. Not high enough
to do some structural changes to the steel, but hot enough to melt it.
Others have replied that springs get powder coated regularly - I hope so but
I have no practical experience with it. It is a bit messy at the coating
stage since there is a bit of overspray that comes with it. I do mine
outside in a make shift booth from an old moving box cut open on 1 side and
top. seems to work OK and not much mess - just need to be very careful not
to touch the part with anything - the powder comes off VERY easily when not
heat set. The powder is so light and with only 8 psi of air pressure it is
quite managable. I got an old oven for $70 and another $70 for hook up in
the garage - pretty cheap way to go for coating hardware.

Cheers...Michael