Re: 66 amp alternator (Long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 66 amp alternator (Long)
From: clockmkr <clockmkr@internetcds.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:58:47 -0700
Comparing resistors to fuses is like comparing apples to oranges.
Fuses are very low in resistance and contribute very little to the overall
resistance to the circuit. Putting 3 fuses in series or parallel makes basically
no difference in the amount of current flow (ohms law), however it will make a
big difference in the MAX amount of current the circuit will draw before the
fuses blow. Experiment take a high beam headlight (about 55-60 watts)  60 watts
/ 12 volts equals 5 amps (ohms law again) hook the headlight up to a battery
with three 2 amp fuses in series (will blow) circuit drawing 5 amps. Ohms
law---  in a series circuit the current travels at the same rate through all
components.   In a parallel circuit the current is split equally if the
resistance of each component has the same resistance.

A very simple analogy would be...  A chain is composed of a series of
links.........( where have I heard that one before)
Or, What will handle more current, 3 -16 gauge wires 1 foot long in parallel or
one -16 gauge wire 3 foot long.
Okay, I'm out of breath  now.

Scott Hilmoe
Electronics technician for 15 years