Re: oil filter gasket

To: The Belgian Roadster <chriss@euregio.net>
Subject: Re: oil filter gasket
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 09:54:22 -0500
Chris,

Either gasket should work fine. Given the high
pressure of the oil when cold, I would use the
thinner gasket. Check the surface of the block
and oil filter mount for flatness first.

This is one place NOT TO USE RTV silicone
sealer. I will spray the gasket with a light
coating of gasket sealer, but that is it.
I have torn done a few engines that had oil
starved camshafts to find a piece of silicone
bead that had squeezed out of a gasket, into
an internal passage. Most amazing was one
engine that had ran 40,000 miles before the
silicone broke loose, plugging the oil passage
in the cylinder head.

Only place I use RTV is on the upper front edge
of the timing cover, water passage on the intake
manifold, and by the rear main seal for the two
side seals. Very light coating at that.

The "race" option was the oil filter mount
that has the oil cooler connections on them.
There was a Datsun Competition oil cooler
option for the roadsters, which I have seen
occasional fitted to roadsters.

I am only guessing, but perhaps the thinner
gasket was used with the "race option" due to
the additional vibration of the oil filter
mount, as it also had the heavier oil cooler
line fittings. I also can see that is a good
reason to have used a thinner gasket as the
race engines usually shimmed the oil pump
relieve valve to deliver higher pressure to
the main galleys, as the bearings had higher
clearances.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.