brake questions, and others

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: brake questions, and others
From: Fergus OFarrell <FOFarrell@qtww.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:35:16 -0700
A few questions from a weekend of remove, clean, and replace.
When I replaced my rear brake shoes, I noticed the pads were bonded offset
towards one end of the shoe.  So then when I looked at the two sets of shoes
installed (right side vs left), one had a small gap (~2") between the pads
on the top, and ~5" on the bottom, while the other side had the gaps approx.
evenly spaced.  I wasn't sure, so I switched one shoe on each side, so that
the gaps were pretty even top-to-bottom (unclear yet?).   Does it really
make any difference?
Also, the L-shaped hose that connects water pump to intake manifold.  Can
this be acquired by asking for an L-series part?  It is too tight of a bend
for a straight hose.
Fergus O