Freeze plugs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Freeze plugs
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 07:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Guys.  A general question for the list.  (BTW
thanks datsunmike for your help so far)

I have my head off, and my engine is still in the car.
 I do not plan to pull it, but while my header and
carbs are out and everything is very accessable, I
decided to flush out the block.  I removed the
draincock (early R-16 engine) and hosed uot the block
from the water pump opening.  The water jackets in the
block all look clean and unrestricted.  Is it too big
of a pain to remove the freeze plugs and clean that
area out while I have them accessable?, or just
overkill.  Am I correct that all freeze plugs are on
the manifold side? (4 holes, but looks like only 2
with plugs, right?)

The head was straight (never been cut) and the valves
pressure tested fine, so the only head work I had them
do was to extract a bolt in the thermostat end that I
had broken about 10 years ago. (I've been running 2
bolts & permetex since).

I'm inclined to leave well enough alone since
everything "looks" clean, but would appreciate your
input...

If I do remove them, are there any tips?, (just pound
away with a hammer & screwdriver ?)

Mike Harper
'66 1600
Charleston SC