Re: Registry anomaly Reply

To: pmiller@megapathdsl.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Registry anomaly Reply
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
The difference between the engine and head is not important.  The iron
head has the advantage of not warping but the disadvantage of added
weight.  I have read that many racers prefer it because it is virtually
impossible to warp.  I'd keep it.  Don't worry about the engine
differences between old and new because the things important to the two
are the same - the cylinders, the head bolts, the oil/water passages,
etc.

--- pmiller@megapathdsl.net wrote:
> Thanks all for your replies!
>
> Yep.  That's what it seems to me too.  I know the '67 is the original
>
> engine, and when I bought the '66 I failed to even take a look at the
>
> engine number.  The '66 is definitely NOT the original engine.  It
> should actually have a number considerably less than the '67.  The
> interesting thing is, the R56702 engine ('66) has a steel head!
> Quite a cob job!
>
> Well, the 5 main engine is definitely more stable than the 3 main
> engine, and with the steel head, I avoid that nasty heat expansion
> differential, so, I suppose this combo isn't too bad.  Of course
> getting parts is going to be interesting with the block AFTER R40000
> and the head BEFORE R40000!
>
> Paul
>
> On 2 Aug 2001, at 14:18, Mike Harper wrote:
>

> > Paul. The '66 engine HAS to be a transplant.  That #
> > is a 5 main bearing R-16 (after 40000) which is I
> > believe in 67.5 and after.  All '66's were 3 main.  I
> > think the aluminum head was present on #'s above about
> > 10605.  Does this # show on the ID plate??, If so, the
> > plate may be a replacement also.
> >

> > --- pmiller@megapathdsl.net wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Just registered TWO of 'em.
> > >
> > > When I checked the engine numbers on the vehicles I
> > > found the
> > > following:
> > >
> > >   1966 SPL311 -- R56702
> > >   1967 SPL311 -- R17239
> > >
> > > Now how could the '67 have a LOWER engine number
> > > than the '66!?  I
> > > never noticed this before.  Hmmmm.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > >
> > > Paul
> > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo!
> > Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181