Going Nuts

Subject: Going Nuts
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 21:36:06 -0400
Ive been working on opening up my combustion chambers a bit and as I mentioned
on my web
site I opened #4 up a little more than Id planned.  So Ive been merrily
grinding away on
the head and Im pretty sure that Ive got #1 even with #4 by looking at it but
when I cc
the chamber its 2ccs smaller.  Im going nuts trying to figure out how to
remove 2ccs
worth of material when it looks pretty damn even to me.  Something is wrong.
Then the
brainstorm.  I measured the valves seat depth.  What do you know, the #4 intake
valve is
.054 deeper than the #1 intake valve.  A little bit of quick math shows me
that that
difference is equal to 2.28ccs.  The chambers are almost the same.  Its the
valves that
are different.  The moral of the story is that I made an assumption that the
chamber
volume was the same on all the cylinders before I started grinding.  Now whats
that that
happens when we assume?  No harm done, it means that I didnt open up #4 more
than I
planned to, I just though I did because I didnt make sure of where I was
before I
started.
Its really two morals
1; Dont assume
2; If youre sure youre doing it right but it isnt making sense, something is
wrong -
stop and think.  A wise old man once told me that if it was hard, I was doing
it wrong.
FWIW
Brian
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/