2-liter Solexes and serial numbers (and plates) and such ...

To: "Roadster newsletter (E-mail)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2-liter Solexes and serial numbers (and plates) and such ...
From: "Tillinger, Richard (OLN)" <Richard_Tillinger@Dresser-Rand.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:58:00 -0400
> Hi to all. This post is not intended to flame anyone, just to add my
> knowledge/opinions to some threads that have been floating around in the
> last year or two. Your comments, opinions, corrections, and additions are
> welcomed. I use the name Solex interchangeably here with Mikuni.

My apologies that my earlier "article" on frames came thru with those damned
">'s"; it didn't leave here that way (nor did this one). And finally, PLEASE
<snip> unnecessary text when replying!

> SRL-311-00012 came from the factory with the complete Solex kit (this even
> included 4 big individual velocity stacks for racing, as well as the Solex
> air cleaner, with the small built-in velocity stacks). Original engine
> number was U20-00190, and the serial number plate said 135HP, and included
> a line for "model for year".
>
> SRL-311-00095 (Bob Sharp's CP/DP race car, 1967-1970) originally had
> engine number U20-00344, and the serial number plate said 135HP, and
> included "model for year". I assume that this car came with Solexes
> originally, but never actually confirmed this.
>
> SRL-311-00122 came from the factory with the complete Solex kit. Original
> engine number was U20-00416, and the serial number plate said 135HP, and
> did NOT include "model for year".
>
> SRL-311-00214 came from the factory with the complete Solex kit. Original
> engine number was U20-00524; I don't have the serial number plate.
>
> SRL-311-00590 originally had engine number U20-00994, and the serial
> number plate said 135HP, and did not include "model for year"; not sure
> what carbs it originally had.
>
> I have seen more than a dozen originally equipped Solex cars over the
> years (mostly in the 1968-1975 time frame), and never have seen an
> original 150HP serial number plate. And other than a photo in Road and
> Track's Nov 1967 road test, and a photo in the owner's manual, I never saw
> a SU equipped 67.5 2000 in that time period. My firm belief is that almost
> all US 67.5 2000's came with the Solex kits, and that for some silly
> reason, they all had 135HP serial number plates.

Also, the original equipment Solexes on 67.5 U.S. cars look (and are)
different from the very much more common later model Solexes: the early ones
had a kidney shaped jet cover that fastened with two oval head screws,
rather than the much larger and almost rectangular cover with the single
screw of the later ones. And not all late model Solexes are the same: there
are certainly two if not three different varieties of them. So the jetting
choices that work with a given choke size on a certain engine with one style
of carb, may be far different than on another style. For the technically
minded, see the Mikuni technical manual for descriptions of "homogeneous"
versus "independent" flavors of carbs.Early Solexes used French pitch
(coarse) metric threads; later ones used the Japanese version (JIS) of ISO
threads. In addition, the throttle shafts and linkages are not the same on
early and late carbs.

Solex jet size advice:

1) if your jet sizes don't work, read the Mikuni technical manual to see how
to test for the right size; much better advice there than I could give you

2) if you have jets that work with a given choke size, and you change the
choke size, ratio the jet sizes up by the same amount as the choke size
change as a good starting point