master cylinder gaskets (o-rings)

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: master cylinder gaskets (o-rings)
From: Fergus OFarrell <FOFarrell@qtww.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:21:16 -0700
Okay, posted this too late for a reply, cuz I'm on my way home. No access
till Monday.
I am re-building the dual master cylinder and the kit has two types of U-cup
seals, but several (4) of one of them and only (1) of the other.  I run the
risk of putting in the wrong one in exactly the same place the PO did,
possibly meaning similar short life before removal and a mess of the
floorboards.
On the piston, there are two seals, the one nearest the opening is ~.5" OD
and .4"ID while the inner is ~.5" OD and .25" ID.  The seal on the outer
piston rod (clevis rod) must be the .25" ID one, because there is only that
kind left.  This is the same as when I dis-assembled it. (by U-cup I mean a
C-channel O-ring with the legs of the C pointing toward the center slot of
the piston.  "E-I-E-I-oh"
Only it strikes me that now the outer (clevis rod) seal is better (tighter)
than the inner (piston) seal.  Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Fergus O, 69 2000, mired in acronyms