Batteries -- bringing back to life!

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Batteries -- bringing back to life!
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:32:59 -0500
Linda asked about some method to bring batteries back to life.
She was on the right track, as older batteries do sulfate, no
longer taking on a charge.

For the EV (electric vehicle), or Home Backup power, there are
some ways of trying to get a battery back to functioning. Basically
chemical treatments (to remove the sulfating), followed by lots
of flushing. Personally I'd rather buy a Optima at $100-125 and
not hassle with acid burns, nor a sore back from lifting the
battery.  For an electric vehicle, with dozen batteries, well that
$2000 bill means it is worth getting the correct safety gear and
making a tool to help lift and rotate the batteries.

One source of information was up on HOME POWER web site:
http://www.homepower.com

A little digging turned up a couple of articles:
http://www.humboldt1.com/~michael.welch/extras/edta.pdf

There is also reference to a electronic circuit to help
desulfate batteries. It is in a back issue of the magazine,
but couldn't find the online version.

Cheers,

Tom Walter

P.S. When I tried to email Linda at the "lafn.org" email
address, the host will reject messages from all three of
my email accounts!