instrument VR tech tip

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: instrument VR tech tip
From: Roman Rist <roadsterregistry@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
 just wanted to share my experience with the list on this
topic.

One day, miles away from home, BAM! gauges go dead, it is very hot
and
water temp is a crucial thing to keep an eye on. I was also VERY low
on
gas and now running blind, not to mention lost!

I wiggled around the connections to the instrument voltage regulator.
( this is a small rectangular metal case, usually located to the
right
of the steering column, under the dash)

the wiggling temporarily handled the problem and gauges returned to
normal and then died again.

Long story short, most electrical problems are bad ground, loose
connection, dirt, corrosion, etc. Pretty simple stuff, not like a
transistor that you cannot see inside.

When I made it home I took the cover off of the unit, (a couple of
tabs
to bend back), cleaned everything and soldered all the connections.
the factory connections are just rivets, much like the late model
fuse
boxes.

Over time they get loose and do not make good contact.

It was a very simple fix took all of 15 minutes and no problems
again.

Being proud of my newly found technical genius, I called Les at CDM
tell him of my success....Well, he promptly informed me they had new
ones in stock....however, If and when they are made of unobtanium,
rest
assured it is easy to fix your old one.

Roman