Re: New to list w/questions (a bit long)

To: "Robert Giel" <giel@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: New to list w/questions (a bit long)
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:54:45 -0400
I have never overheated in the 22 years I've owned my car and driving in 100
weather. Yes it runs warm, about 210 at times, but I don't consider that
overheating.

The 66 has a skinny 2 row rad and I highly recommend getting it recored to a
3 row rad. The 66 also has a crummy 2 piece steel fan that I would heave
into the garbage or into the basement and install a plastic 4 blade fan from
the 1600s or the later 7 blade fan or install a Spal 13" HD electric fan
which pulls a lot of air.

I also blocked off the area between the rad and the front supports to ensure
air is flowing through the rad and not around it. Also make sure your air
guide on the bottom of the rad is still there.

Also check your timing, and plugs for mixture. If it's too lean or too
retarded or advanced, the engine will run warmer.

Other than a good flush all should be well.

Mike

PS - As you may know the 66s originally came with cast iron not aluminum
heads. Remember to retorque the head once a season and adjust the valves.