[LONG] Re: Are we gonna have a SACROC?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [LONG] Re: Are we gonna have a SACROC?
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:10:30 -0700
It's being bantered around:
> A new club in the Sacramento area is something I'd like to see...

> Sounds like there are a lot of Roadsters in the Sacramento Area...

and other comments...

Yes, there are a surprising number of Roadsters in the area. Maybe
even enough to reach a 'critical mass'. And there are some great
back roads. We even have Mike Kerr and his collection lurking in the
nearby hills.

But for the most part, of all the people I've talked to here, there hasn't
been that core excitement to really get together. There's a guy in
Elk Grove (about 20 minutes south of Sacramento) that's planned
on starting up a club, but it hasn't happened yet. One problem is
that we seem to be close together, yet we're still scattered. Many
of us, unfortunately, are at present tied up with 'life': kids starting
high school, kids starting college, dogs to walk, cars to fix, houses
to fix, yards to fix... Much of it (except the kids) a poor excuse, in the
big picture. What matters more - quality time with friends and
acquaintances, or mowing the lawn... (well, the neighbors probably
have a differing opinion).

The NorCal Z club has an annual picnic. I don't make it to their
other events (well, I headed off for the tuneup session a couple of
years ago, but got lost in Auburn :-) ), but I go to the picnic. It's not
that I don't want to go on the other events, it's just that 'life' gets in the
way. The picnic is fun. It's a family event with some car talk but also
just a lot of catching up on what others have been up to. It's in a
park where people can play, and sit, and eat, and just kick back.

So, where am I going with this? Well, yet another summer is almost
over. We'll all be watching the rain clouds roll in soon (Except you
in Washington, where it's likely already raining :-) ). Nothing will happen
unless it's just decided to make something happen. There's a couple
of nearby parks: I'm thinking maybe the State park and Aquatic Center
at Nimbus Dam off Highway 50 in Fair Oaks. Grass, beach area, BBQ
pits, tables, ample parking, fish hatchery, river walk, etc. Parking fees
are nominal. So let's have a show of hands: If I pick some Saturday and
head to the park, who else may join along? The adventuresome can
head off into the nearby hills, others can just hang out for a couple of
hours (me, I'll bring a raft and float on the lake for awhile). Just an
excuse for an afternoon in the park with others that share some similar
interests. Maybe it'll be a flop, or maybe we'll decide to do it again - who
knows unless we try.

Send me, off-list, good dates and bad dates between now and the end
of September, and I'll see if something works out.

-- John