Re: shelby wheels.

To: Russell Southwell <rulee@cityscape.net>
Subject: Re: shelby wheels.
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:22:29 -0500
Russ,

Aluminum.   What type of TIG welder are you using? I have
a Hobart 250A (100% duty cycle!). I can not touch a rim
like that. Perhaps with 500A so it doesn't need to be
preheated. Aluminum is great a sucking out all the heat
from the weld.

There are some Magnesium rims out there. I wanted to sneak
over to Terry's house, pull out a pen knife, and cut a few
slivers off. Then hold a match to the slivers, well away
from anything else, to see the chemical reaction.  ;-)

For those "home shop machinist" in our midst. Find the series
of books "Bedside Reader" by Guy Lautard.  There is a very
funny story about a fellow machining Magnesium. I won't touch
the stuff near my lathe.

Cheers,

Tom