Re: alternator conversion help

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: alternator conversion help
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 18:56:45 -0600 (CST)
Oh, one thing that I forgot to include in my last post is that the
alternator will not always put out 60 Amps, just because it is rated at 60
Amps. This was pointed out by others in their replies. However, if you
forget to turn your headlights off and the engine barely turns over enough
to start, or, even worse, need the battery to be jumped, the alternator
will probably put out well over 30 Amps, which will probably damage the
ammeter.  Fuses will possibly take care of this, but most fuses are slow
enough in blowing that the ammeter may be damaged before the fuse(s) blow.
Fuses generally protect the wiring from damage caused by devices hooked to
the wires that fail internally.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner