Jag XK motor

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jag XK motor
From: "Richard Wright" <duntov1@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:05:02 -0600
The old Xk motor is a very reliable unit if kept out of the hands of an
American car mechanic.
I have many Jag clients, and They spend most of their money on fixing work
done by non Jag mechanics, and inexperienced machine shops. You have to be
very careful with the canister oil filters, and retorque the head once a
year.
You have to very careful with speed parts as well. Alot of the aftermarket
parts for the XK and V12's are JUNK!

The motors are lovely, and have reliable aluminum, hemi cylinderheads since
1948. The stroke is 4 1/8 inches and supplies tons of torque in the whole
rpm range, and the hemi head turns on @2800 rpm!!!! and the sound through
glasspacks is heart throbbing!
They run beatifully for 100k miles, back with standard rings and bearings
and run 'em another 75k!
The torque WILL KILL CLUTCHES AND BURNOUTS MUST BE AVOIDED! To replace
acluth an an XKE is about an 16 hour operation!
The XK motor was scored by Road&Track as one of the best 10 motors ever
made.
But I race small block chevy's in my Healey.
I'm currently building a 425 horse 327 with the roller cam retarded 8
degrees to kill some torque. The Healey is SCCA vintage elidgble!

In the old Jags sedans, a sweet setup is a 9:1 4.2 with a 700R4 behind it,
or the 350sbc with the 700R4-quick and reliable!!!

Rich W
Dallas