Re: steering wheel restoration

To: "TIM WALTZ" <printner@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: steering wheel restoration
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:40:58 -0600
TIM WALTZ wrote

>Does anyone know how you can fill the cracks in a steering wheel (what would
>you use) or know of anyone that does this type of repair?
>

>Tim Waltz
>67.5 1600's
I used the Epoxy-putty stuff from Eastwood (It came with a how-to book
that was somewhat useful)  The resto was done on a wheel from a '65
datsun pickup.  I don't know how long a life I can expect from the
repair, but it's one year down in Texas heat and cold, and no re-emerging
cracks.  Someone suggested melting the plastic from a waste wheel and
spatulating it into the enlarged cracks (you cut the cracks open to fill
them like a dentist does with cavities).  Any attempts at melting the
stuff resulted in black bubbly burning stuff that smelled like hell, so I
abandoned that strategy.. Some pics of the wheel resto at:

http://datsun_marc.tripod.com/cgi-bin/progress_pics

Marc T.