RE:

To: "Mark Clary" <mclary@ortn.edu>
Subject: RE:
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:25:23 -0500
Wow,
I'm surprised this didn't take off.  It's true that you're almost always
better off buying a good running car.  You didn't state what kind of project
you're looking for.  If you want to do a frame off restoration then this car
might be the one.  If you're looking for a few weekends in the garage then
probably not.  I bought mine out of junk yard for about $600.  I had
receipts for over 9 grand when I did my frame off and I skimped a fair bit
when I did it.  I just rebuilt my U20 again to the tune of a little over 3
grand.  Clearly it's not cheap to do a restoration but I get a lot of
pleasure out of driving something I brought back from the dead.  There's
also no better way to get to know your car than to have touched ever nut,
bolt, and wire on it.
Best advice I can give you is to determine what your budget and time frame
is as well as how much of the work you plan to do yourself.  Then determine
if a particular car fits into that.  Just realize that in all likelihood
you'll have more money tied up in the car than it's worth.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/