Re: temp gauge problem

To: "Adam Bradley" <ambradley@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: temp gauge problem
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@texoma.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:07:21 -0600
First, is the gas gauge reading OK?  If not, check the instrument regulator
under the dash.  If the gas gauge is OK proceed to the next section.

With the ignition switch in the on position, ground the wire going to the
sender.  If the gauge goes full scale, you have a bad sender.  (Very common)
If not, leave the ground jumper on the sender wire and meter both sides of
the gauge to ground.  One side should read around 8 volts (supplied by the
instrument regulator) and the other side should read near zero with the
engine cold.  If you read 8 on one side and ground on the other, the gauge
is bad.  If you read 8 on both sides, the sender wire is open.  If you read
zero on both sides you have lost power to your gauge.  BTW, disconnect one
of the primary wires from your coil.  If the points happen to be closed and
the key is on for an extended time it can fry the coil.

Temp depends upon the thermostat used.  If it is per factory spec it will be
180 degrees.  This is a little below half scale on the gauge.  These gauges
weren't the most accurate things ever made!

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000
SRL311-13359