Forwarded: OT... '97 Chev PU Fuel Pump

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: OT... '97 Chev PU Fuel Pump
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:18:56 -0700 (MST)
For some reason this was sent to me rather than
datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     From: "Gregg Robinson" <greggr@macnet.com>
     Subject: OT... '97 Chev PU Fuel Pump
     Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:25:43 -0800

Sorry for the WAY off topic, but I am hoping someone has the expertise I
need to finish installing a new fuel pump.

Vehicle : '97 Chev full size 1/2 ton with 4.3 L V6

My girl friends pickup died (on me) while I was working turn 5 during the
Enduro Kart races at Portland International Raceway this weekend. Long story
short we determined that the fuel pump is bad. Dealer wanted $650.00
installed for the repair! I was able to locate a new pump for only $305,
almost $100 cheaper than the dealer. This is the whole guts of the fuel
tank. It has the pump, gauge sending unit, strainer in one "module". So this
afternoon I got the tank loose, fill hoses off, and the tank dropped down.
Here is my problem.

I can not figure out how the fuel lines unhook. The new pump has plastic
nipples with one single rib in about 1/2 inch from the end. The old pump
appears to be the same. The fuel lines have an aluminum connector the slides
over the nipple and must lock to the rib somehow. It appears that it is
designed to slide onto the pump nipples, but never come off. Anyone have any
experience here?

Thanks for your indulgence with this off topic. I figured this group would
have the expertise to set me in the right direction.

Gregg Robinson
McMinnville, OR
greggr@macnet.com