Re: U20 oil pumps?

To: Paul <9laser3@bright.net>
Subject: Re: U20 oil pumps?
From: Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:04:28 -0800
Hi Paul,
I have installed a U20 oil pump in my stroker project.  Several minor issues
to deal with.  First, the U20 uses studs not bolts like the R 16.  No big deal
to install the studs properly.  Another issue was the oil pump shaft fits a
tad too tight into the bored out hole in the block.  This was easily solved by
30 seconds on my grinder.  What I did was remove the grinding wheel and
install a 6" dia flap wheel.  When the flap wheel comes in contact with the
oil pump shaft it spins it.  The shaft spins at a lesser rate than the wheel
so it nicely grinds off the excess "tad" off the shaft.  Now the new oil pump
shaft slides in and spins like the R16's oilpump shaft.  The engine isn't
running yet so I can't tell you if it pumps properly or not...thats another
story.  I don't anticipate any problems from that part of my project.
Guy
Tempe, AZ