Re: Icky Smelly Stuff

To: Pamela Bauman <ntrlclr@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Icky Smelly Stuff
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:12:19 -0600
>Pamela Bauman:

> I've found a paste baking soda and Dawn works fairly well to remove
> smelly/oily YUCK
> from skin and clothing. Just need to leave it on for about 5 minutes. Then
> there is always
> fresh lemon juice. But if you used all of those products on your hands, they
> might be a little
> bit sensitive to anything acidic.
>
> Next time you decide to work with any type of oil, grease, anti-seize, etc
> use vinyl gloves.
> Home Depot sells them by the 100 box for $8.00 in the paint department.

The thin latex gloves work well, but I would recommend using regular heavier
rubber gloves for really grimy jobs, at least in the early stages.

I've also found that if you coat your hands and forearms with hand lotion
before starting work it keeps grease and grime from settling into the pours
of you skin and makes cleaning up later much easier. If you leave a bit of
lotion buildup around and under your nails, grease can't get in but the
lotion washes out easily. I think years ago my doctor, who moto crossed with
his son, turned me on to that one.

Of course these suggestions are preventative in nature. After the fact, in
addition to the cleanup ideas, you might also use generous applications of
Pamela's preferred beverage, or one of your own choice. Internally, that is.
It may not get rid of the smell any faster, but you probably won't care. ;>)

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@attbi.com