Re: Headrest speakers

To: Allen Blackmon <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Headrest speakers
From: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:13:00 -0600
Hi Allen,

Yes indeed, I installed speakers in my 2000 headrests but I can't take
credit for the idea and method. Someone else posted the idea several years
ago and I just followed his directions. Anyone remember the thread?

What could be the most difficult part with the installation is that you have
to build an extended drill that will reach down from the top of the seat to
the metal base. This required a 1/2" diameter straight piece of round stock
steel. I drilled a 3/8" diameter hole on one end and brazed a drill into the
hole. I've still got the special drill if you want to use it. This allows
you to run the speaker wires up to the headrests. The rest of the
installation is pretty easy. If we don't fined the original thread I'll be
happy to explain the entire procedure to you.

I used Radio Shack miniature speakers (around 3" diameter) and removed them
from the plastic cases. The sound improvement is great with the top down and
cruising at 75 mph.

I've fought the idea of switching to a newer seat with built-in speakers
only because unless my ass hurts after a 200 mile run, it's not a proper
roadster experience!

Steve Harvey