Re: engine block painting

To: "Ray Cole" <raycole@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: engine block painting
From: "Tom Phelan" <tomph@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:54:00 -0500
Ray,

I've had good luck with Dupont 5717 metal conditioner. You mix it 1 part
5717 and 2 parts water. Wash the block with degreaser and any rust remover
first. Dry block. Wear rubber gloves and use the 5717 solution with a scotch
pad to wash a small area and wet it good and srub it. Wipe dry with a rag
'before" the solution dries. Work your way around the whole block. When your
done you can hit it with your engine paint. Les Cannady at Classic Datsun
Motorsports used to have spray cans with the proper color already mixed. I
did my block in '96 and it still looks fine. No peeling or chipping.

Tom P