Re: My first quirk (help)

To: aaron spesard <spar011@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: My first quirk (help)
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:33:00 -0500 (CDT)
Aaron,

Sounds like your car is running on battery, instead of the alternator.
I will guess that you will have to either jump the car or put a
battery charger on it before you can get the car to turn over. When
you first start the car does the ammeter show a charge? It should,
then go back to zero. Turn on the headlights and see if the ammeter stays
on zero. It should. If it moves to the discharge side there is a problem
with the charging circuit, or the circuit that connects the charging
circuit to the rest of the electricals.

If you show a discharge at this time measure the voltage at the large stud
on the back of the alternator. I believe it should have a large white wire
on it. The voltage should be about 13.6 volts. This is with the engine
running. Watch out for the fanbelt and fan! Measure the voltage at the
ignition switch, cigar lighter, under dash light, or some other place that
you can get to. It should be real close to the voltage that you measure at
the alternator.

If the voltage is good at the alternator then the problem is with the
wiring. If it is low, the problem is with either the alternator, the regulator,
or the wiring between them.

If the voltages at the alternator and under the dash are close to the
same, the wiring between the alternator and the rest of the harness is
probably alright.

Give it a test and let us know what you find.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner