Re: On the topic of originality.. body swaps?

To: "audela2" <audela2@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: On the topic of originality.. body swaps?
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:32:03 -0700
Is it a tall windshield or low windshield?  Is the dash flat or
contoured?  If they swapped the whole body they wouldn't be able to easily
graft the windshield frame on.  They may have grafted the rear of a later
car on an earlier body.

As for which VIN plate, the plate should match the frame.  If you swap
bodies, swap plates.  The body isn't serialized on early cars, and on late
cars, only by the dash, which is removable, and in the doorjam.

At 08:11 AM 8/1/2002 -0700, audela2 wrote:
>Our 'early 67's VIN plate indicates that the engine matches the frame.  The
>plate is screwed on, not riveted, which as I understand was customary.
>
>The hitch is, the rear of the Roadster is '68 or later, as it has the license
>plate lights next to the plate indentation which is tapered and not straight.
>There are bad cracks in the trunk requiring repair before the gas tank can be
>re-installed. It also has mismatched front fenders; one is '67, the other
>looks like it might be '68.
>
>So, I am assuming that at the least there was a rear-end collision requiring
>the welding on of part of a later model, or perhaps even a total body swap
>(the seats aren't '67 either, we've been told).
>
>We have a '66 that has a newer engine and the body is in great shape, and we
>were thinking about doing a body swap.  Now for the dilemma; which VIN plate
>should be attached to the body?  The one that came with the body, or the one
>that came with the frame and engine?  Both cars are registered as '67s, but
>VIN #'s identify one as '66 and one as '67.
>
>Thanks in advance for all input!
>
>Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
>Phoenix, Arizona
>'64 SPL310 1500