Metal working - shit happens.

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Metal working - shit happens.
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 01:28:29 +0200
On the subject of metalworking. I had my '65 Silvia
at a bodyshop to get the bodypanels copied for
my other car, or so I thought. He asked for a $1K
deposit and the work should have been finished
a month later. After a month and half I went there
to take a look but the only thing I found there was
6 small pieces that I could have done in a couple
of hours myself. Okay, so then he say's "I promise
the work will be done by early June". June comes
but now he say's I can not visit because of (put
all excuse's you can think of here) so I say if the
car is not done by August 1:st I will pick it up and
the money must be returned. Today I took my trailer
and went to take the car home. We are going to
discuss the money next week but if I dont get at
least half of the money back I will send a couple of
Yugoslavian bodybuilders on steroids to visit him. I
have to find another metal fabricator but this time
if I see as much as one beer can in their shop, empty
or not, I will look elsewhere as I wont ask another one
that just might be another useless beer belching slacker.

I also went by a fibreglass supply warehouse and
bought 150 lbs of polyester, 50 lbs gelcoat and a
125 foot roll of 3/16" thick coremat. I will at least
make fibreglass moulds of the body and I will consider
using fibreglass to make body panels. One thing I have
seen recently was a German restoration shop that
did a full body mould of a 300 SL Gullwing. I dont
know what they used to make body jig from but
the fibreglass was strong enough to use as backing
to hammer out the sheetmetal to the correct shape.
It looked like some dark clay they had put inside the
body to make it stiff and solid as heavy steel. Polyester
and portland cement perhaps? Does anyone have a clue?

Thomas

PS. I do drink beer sometime, but never at work.