O/T Re: Virus: how would I know if I got it?

To: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: O/T Re: Virus: how would I know if I got it?
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:46:45 -0700
Many viruses send out mass mailings.  To do this they almost always require
that you have either Outlook or Outlook Express as your e-mail program.  If
you don't use those programs, you won't spread the virus via mass
e-mailings, although you might become infected and could manually send the
infected files via e-mail.

Virus protection software is your best bet.  Keep it running all the time,
scanning all new files, and keep the signatures updated.  They'll identify
if you're infected.

Do not open attachments that you didn't request.  Especially Word
documents, executables, and files with extensions you don't recognize, or
are unsure about.  If the wording of the message it comes in is awkward
(i.e. "I send this file for your enjoyment") then it is probably an
infected attachment.  Just today I received three documents from a mortgage
company, with no e-mail text, from someone I didn't recognize.  I wrote
them back a pretty harsh letter saying that I have to treat these as virus
infected e-mails, as there is nothing to indicate they are clean.  They
wrote back and apologized, and actually explained who they are and what the
documents were for.  If in doubt, ask the sender before you open the
attachment.  If they don't answer, delete the message and attachment.

There is a free online virus scanning program at
http://housecall.antivirus.com that will scan your system once, but it's
not the same as having real-time virus protection.  It will show you if you
have any infected files, though.

If you have a Macintosh you're pretty safe.  Virus authors don't target
Macs.  They target Windows, and the Microsoft Office suite on Windows in
particular.

Mandatory Roadster content - I have one.

At 05:16 PM 8/6/2002 -0400, C. Halsted wrote:
>what does this virus do? as far as I know, have never gotten one. mandatory
>roadster content- pushed 5 of them around today and drove the 6th one up the
>hill. have to get an engine out that's way in the back of one of the garages
>sitting in the passenger compartment of yet another roadster. at least it's
>cooler today.....
>
>Craig

Adam Bradley
'70 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL311-28181