California Plates

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: California Plates
From: "Trevor Skarda" <tskarda@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:12:15 -0700
I own an early '67 roadster.  My goal is to return the car to stock, from the
original spanish red, to the original clock and radio, and the crowning touch
-- a set of YOM (Year of Manufacture) California plates.

I researched YOM plates, and learned, as i am sure many of you Caifornia car
owners are already aware, the law does not currently allow owners of cars
manufactured after 1962 to register cars with YOM plates.  I also learned that
Gray Davis vetoed a bill which would have extended the period for YOM plates
from 1962 to 1972.  Why did Gray Davis veto a seemingly harmless bill that
would have allowed me (and other similarly afflicted souls) to restore my car
to its original glory?

Black and yellow plates represent a "significant public safety hazzard"
becasue they are "not reflectorized" and therefore fail to "assisst police
officers" in identifying criminals.   We cant have "tens of thousands" [at an
additional cost  of 20 dollars each year, with an up front payment of 35
dollars, not to mention the cost of the plates on Ebay] of criminals
purchasing YOM plates so that they can freely engage in "unlawful activities"
without fear of identification or punishment.

Sorry, had to vent.  This kind of stupidity really pisses me off.

Trevor Skarda, Roadsterfarian
Stock '67 with White and Blue Plates [sigh]

For anyone who cares, the text of Gray's veto statement follows:
BILL NUMBER:  AB 834
VETOED  DATE: 08/30/2001

To Members of the California State Assembly:

I am returning Assembly Bill 834 without my signature.

This bill would authorize the extension of the Year of Manufacture license
plate program to include automobiles that were manufactured prior to 1970, and
commercial vehicles, including light duty trucks, that were manufactured prior
to 1973.

This bill conflicts with the intent of existing law, which requires the
Department of Motor Vehicles to issue license plates that are reflectorized.
The older license plates authorized by this bill do not contain reflectorized
material.  This change represents a significant potential public safety
problem as reflectorization assists police officers and citizens in accurately
identifying vehicles that are involved in unlawful activities.

The purpose of the vehicle license plate is for identification and
registration purposes only.  Allowing the expansion of the program, as
indicated in this bill, would make tens of thousands of old license plates
containing blue and black background colors eligible for the Year of
Manufacture license plate program.  I am not supportive of allowing such a
significant increase in the number of non-reflectorized license plates on our
streets and highways.

Sincerely,

GRAY DAVIS