RE: What is the leak?/alternator question.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What is the leak?/alternator question.
From: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 18:58:52 -0500
Popular vote is rear main seal from my question last week.  There weren't
any other visible drips from any source.  Pretty much what I was guessing-
but not really what I wanted to hear.  I think I will go with the "ignore
it, they pretty much all leak" advise for now.

As I understand it, the replacement requires engine removal- is that
correct?

Now on to the new oddball question.  I took the wiring harnes from my 70
parts car, and put it in my mostly 68 driver (it used to be a driver, now a
project).  There were a few differences that I had to get creative with-
turn signals come to mind, but I got it all to work (except  the hazzard
flashers, which never worked).

The wires that would have led to the alternator had a short connecting
section.  There were 3 wires on the harness, but the plug had 4 wires.  The
short connecting section had 4 wires, my alternator has 4 wires.  During the
swap, I ended up needing the parts car voltage regulator, which had 6 wires.
So my alternator has 1 black, 1 yellow and two white wires in the plug (plus
the brown ground and white output wires).  One of the white ones is not
connected to anything.

This is an image of the connector:
http://www.geocities.com/smedly_whiplash/misc_image/wires.jpg
It is melted from the outside- I belive it may have rested against the
manifold at one point.

Ok-now I have a headache from explaining that.
Anyway-  even with this wire to nowhere, it all has worked fine for 2 years.
The ammeter is right in the middle and I have never been stranded (due to a
dead battery).
I have been comparing different wiring diagrams, and I don't know what is
missing.

Are the alternators the same between 68-70?

Any idea what the connecting seciton was needed for on a 70 2000?

Should I just ignore this too and move on?

Too much time on my hands waiting for parts....
Erik Smeby
2L 1600