SUCCESS - Thanks

To: datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: SUCCESS - Thanks
From: "milton3" <milton3@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:19:59 -0600
So, who won the pool?  It wasn't a fuse or the fuse box. It wasn't burnt
out bulbs.  It was ... drums rolling ... a loose connection.  FWIW, the
lead from the fuse box to the headlights breaks three times on the way to
the headlights.  At the fuse box connector, at the firewall on the
interior of the car, and again at the headlight.  My firewall connection
appeared secure, but wasn't.

Thanks to everybody that's been listening to my dilemna and offering
advice.  Chalk this up to looking past the little things (the easy things)
in search of some creative problem.  It will happen again - unfortunately.

It took a couple hours with the voltmeter to find a loose connection at
the firewall in the power circuit between the fuse box and the headlights.
 I had spent the past several days and nights investigating the other side
of this circuit.  The one with switches, relays, etc.  I definately give
the Datsun guys credit for some very inventive solutions.  The wiring is
different and crazy, but effective.  I couldn't figure it out till I went
back to physics 3 lecture and started envisioning electrons moving from
negative to positive - with the famous what would a charged particle do in
this situation.

So, the relays were fine, the switches were fine, etc.  But, I still have
a bad connection coming out of the fuse box.  It crumbled and was re-
assembled manually (luckily it was the male plug).  Evidently the
additional resistance caused by that previously loose connection cooked
the plastic on the connector from the fuse box.  I'll pick one up
eventually - it'd be a shame to replace an otherwise good fuse box.

So, as soon as my cousin arrives - it's off to cheer on the AutoX'g
roadster at gulf greyhound park.  And, I can stay past sundown if I want
to <g>.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  Of couse the one stated most often
and probably ignored most often is check all the connections - I could
have fixed this without following the circuit if I'd just attacked them
all.  Would have been able to see in the dark days ago.  But on the bright
side, I now know the roadster lighting circuit like the back of my hand.
And, I've got a few tests figured out that can isolate the problem pretty
quickly.  So, maybe I'll get a chance to help somebody in return.

Milton

milton <milton3@pobox.com>