Re: more SU stuff

To: Roman Rist <roadsterregistry@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: more SU stuff
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:59:50 -1000
I'm sorry, Roman.  I knew you would get many correct answers so I
suppressed my urge to elaborate :-).  Sorry about being a smart
a**.

As far as, "messing with" mine is concerned, I spent last month
getting intimate with mine (again).  You may have missed the
thread on "SU Float Level" which I initiated.  I pursued that
matter because several on the list suggested that a high float
level might be the reason for running "too rich".

Doing the test of alternately "lifting the pistons", in order to
adjust mixture; I've always (for years) ended up with the
nozzles/jets screwed "all the way up"; that is, to the "leanest"
the carbs can be adjusted.  Even at that, the spark plug
appearance (black/sooty) indicated the mixture was still too
rich.  Also a black smudge on the rear bumper and bumper guard,
which I was periodically having to clean off,

I found that my float levels were o.k., and have recently greatly
improved the "rich" situation with new M-39 needles which Ross
provided me.  My plugs now have a nice tan/gray appearance (BUT
with the nozzles still cranked all the way up!).  I'm content,
for now, to leave it at that because the car runs great and my
mpg has increased by about 3, to around 26, for "combination"
driving.

Next will be to replace the nozzles, hopefully, to achieve an
ability to run with the nozzles NOT "all the way up", leaving
some room for adjustment.

Good luck with yours!  Seems you've already located the major
problem with the clogged filter.

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona