RE: Brake drum diameter for '69 1600

To: "Teesun68" <teesun68@telus.net>
Subject: RE: Brake drum diameter for '69 1600
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:43:54 -0400
9.040 is about the max.  The brakes will work if you have more wear than
that on the drums but you will always seem to have a soft pedal.  I had that
for years, no matter how I bled the brakes.  In the end, I put some used
drums on that were 9.025 or so and I suddenly had a MUCH better pedal.
Also, the Z car and 510 drums do have the same diameter and bolt pattern but
they lack the centering mechanism that the roadster drums have.  If you look
at the inside of a roadster drum, you'll see that it has a recessed area at
the center around the holes for the wheel studs.  That recessed area fits
tightly around the sides of the axle (hub) flange.  The other drums don't
have that and as a result may not seat all the way back leaving a large gap
the drum and backing plate.  I've never tried one of the other drums myself
so I don't know how significant this problem would be.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/