Re: 3 main or 5 main

To: "Mike" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: 3 main or 5 main
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:42:49 -0700
Original for that car is a 3-main.  R engine numbers above 40,000 are
5-main.  5-main R engines were introduced in 1967.5.  Someone may have
swapped in a later engine so check the number on the engine itself.  For
virtually everything, it doesn't matter.  It will only matter if you're
rebuilding the engine.  I believe the aluminum head was introduced in the
early 1967.  Again, the iron, aluminum, and aluminum with smog fittings
swap onto any R engine, so this may have been changed, too.

At 09:29 PM 8/17/2002 -0700, Mike wrote:
>how do you know if you have the 3 or 5 main. is there a way to tell? if this
>is a dumb question please be nice! I have an early 67.
>

>thx,
>
>mike

Adam Bradley
'70 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL311-28181