rear main seal leak

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: rear main seal leak
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:36:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hey list,

I have a nasty rear main seal leak.  I'm not just
talking "spotting the garage floor" bad, I'm talking
"steady drip when the engine is running" bad.  The car
is a '68 2000 which sat un-used for a few different
spells since being rebuilt.  The rebuilder knew what
he was doing, so I'm guessing this happened because of
sitting.  I'm pretty sure it is the rear main, because
the drip comes from the back, just forward of the
tranny, but only from one side, and only gets going
strong when the engine is running.

Is tightening a possibility.  What options do I have
other than pullung the engine, or just carrying a lot
of oil with me?

I know this is a common problem with roadsters, but
luckily my 1600 never did this, other than the usual
drip spot after weeks of sitting.  How much leak is
"acceptable" to most of you guys?

Mike Harper
'66 1600
'68 2000