Even I get lucky sometimes. Rear Main Seal Revisited

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Even I get lucky sometimes. Rear Main Seal Revisited
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:31:23 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on my rather
profuse oil leak.  Tom Phelan is the winner, with "do
not rule out an oil pan gasket leak"...

Lucky day!  I jacked it up all around and let her run
while I investigated with the trouble light.  Sure
enough, at the very back of the oil pan, there was a
tiny leak, which ran down, and would look for all the
world like a rear main leak.  I dropped the pan, it
was ruler straight, but, I believe, was installed last
without a gasket, (at least all I found was Gasket
maker), no cork, (maybe paper?). (BTW I know the PO
was never in the bottom end of this engine, so it was
the PPO) Anyway, I have a couple of cork gaskets
laying around, and after some surface cleaning it was
back together and leak free! No engine pull!!

And to top it off, I got first dibs on Andrew's free
choke cable. A good Saturday.

Mike Harper
'68 2000
'66 1600