Re: Identifying a valve-train(?) noise....

To: RiedelD@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Subject: Re: Identifying a valve-train(?) noise....
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:48:25 -0700
Dave,

I hope you didn't get those valves nice and quiet too much.  Too tight
will burn valves.  Better a hair loose than a hair tight.  I was always
taught that if you must error, error on the loose side to save the valves.

An exhaust leak can make a rather sharp sound.  If you inspect very
closely in the area where you hear the sound you may be able to see
traces of white where your leak is.  In the case of these cars a mirror
might help.  On cars with more space I try to feel around the manifolds.
Very carefully of course, but you can feel the puffs of air.  Unless the
leak is right at the front or rear of the engine I doubt you would be
able to use this technique.

Tom
69 2000
Portland, Oregon