Re: economics of stroker parts OT

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: economics of stroker parts OT
From: James Ross <jross@corporatemontage.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:39:15 +0800
H20's are bullet proof. I had a H20 in my fairlady for about 3 years, and i
drove it very hard. Taking it to 6K in every gear. I used my original 1500
head. The car was significanlty faster than all the 1600's around. I drove
it up to a classic race day in the hills (about 200kms away). I got a water
leak about half way back and lost the contents of my radiator. The engine
got red hot! Melted anything plastic that was touching the block (like my
oil pressure sender line). Was leaking lots of oil from between the head
and the block, had some serious warpage happening! Let it cool naturally,
topped it up with water/oil and off we drove.

Although I have since replaced the engine (ca18DE) it is now in a friends
car, still running strong as always, still whipping the 1600's Doesn't even
leak a drop of oil.

There is no point in modifing your r16 engine, just pick up a h20 (cheap as
chips), have a little head work done (valve springs and de-burred). Use
your distributor (with tacho drive), and carbies. If you want to go
overboard, get the conrods lightend/matched, flat top pistons (the h20
compression is rather low) and you'll have a lil' screamer.

James