Re: Ammeter Upgrade?

To: <Robert.Long@acs-inc.com>
Subject: Re: Ammeter Upgrade?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:07:35 -0500 (CDT)
Robert,

For the most part you are correct about adding a shunt. You mention that
the amp gauges actually measure the voltage drop across the resistance of
the shunt. The ammeters in the roadsters do not. The "shunt" is a heavy
piece of wire inside the ammeter that surrounds the magnet on the needle.
It is the magnetic field around this wire that cause the meter to deflect.
As far as I know Ford is the only manufacturer to use a volt meter across
the resistance to indicate amps.

Adding a piece (several inches) of 10 gauge wire across the terminals on a
45A gauge may be enough to get the desired 90A range. If you are
increasing the range of the meter because you have installed a higher
output alternator be sure to upgrade the wires in the path from the
alternator to the the ammeter, and from the ammeter to the battery to
take the extra current!

One more thing to upgrade while you are at it. The 1/4" quick disconnects
don't even hold up well at the 45A rating that they have in a stock set
up. I replaced thr ammeter in my 67.5 with an ammeter from a 260Z. The Z
ammeter has studs for connections, rather than the quick disconnects.

The Z ammeters will only fit the 67.5 cars because all other years have
full gauges where the 67.5 has split (half) gauges.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 Texas Longhorns, #C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712 USA