Re: Rear Main seal replacement

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Main seal replacement
From: "Mark Hatch" <mhatch@ics.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:55:28 -0500
> Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 11:44:29 EST
> From: Ldino21@aol.com
> Subject: Rear Main seal replacement
>
> How the heck does one replace the upper portion of  the rear main
> seal on a U
> 20? I have the engine out, the main bearing caps off, and I still
> can't get
> the stupid thing in. I have tried pulling it through with wire,
> fishingline,
> a bicycle brake cable, both with the crank lifted, and with out.
> I have tried
> to rotate the crank while pulling it, still it won't even start
> to pull. The
> car hasn't moved since early July, I have a ton of new go-fast
> parts for it,
> I want to go play on some backroads!

You have to undo all the bearing caps, timing chains, (maybe rod caps to, I
can't remember) etc. and lift the crank and put it under. (Make sure you
soak it in oil.) The chinese finger tool mentioned in another email doesn't
work on Roadsters.

I wrote a *very* detailed set of instructions on replacing the seal that was
no one of the roadster sites at one time. It assumes that you are staring at
the engine in the car and watching the oil drip out the back...

I have another copy on a backup CD if anybody is interested.

Mark