my 2cents on ca smog

To: Datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: my 2cents on ca smog
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:05:32 -0800
 "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com> wrote:
<<<Subject: Re: Owning a roadster in California may become illegal

It also rasies the question about those cars that had no smog equipment. The
68-70 cars can be fitted with smog devices if they had been removed, but my
67 and my 64 don't have that capability. One of the guys here in my office
said that the DMV can make exceptions as long as the car has the original
configuration (i.e engine and frame) and has not been upgraded. This doesn't
help the people that did engine swaps however.

If the car was legally imported to California in the 60s and has no
capability to support smog equipment, how can it now be deemed "illegal"?

I also tried calling the resource board and got double talk. These people
either don't know or don't care. I wonder if they will feel the same way
when I vote them out of office!

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC>>>

My car came in to Ca from Japan and had no smog equipment, as is the norm in
Japan (at least it was then....).

I registered it initially when they were much looser, and eventually took it to
the referee station.  An amazingly competent person looked it over and agreed
that it was stock as manufactured and gave it a sticker.

I agree that the test should be a maximum allowable emission regardless of the
present equipment under the hood.

Mark Miller
69 RHD Fairlady 2000

also thinking good thoughts for Craig and his OEM pump.