manifold gasket

To: "Autox \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: manifold gasket
From: "Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 13:03:52 -0800
I was putting the manifold back on my engine this week and noticed that the
exhaust header (not stock) is very close to touching the oil pan (about
1/16"). I noticed when taking things apart that the header has been rubbing
on the pan. Not seriously grinding into it, but there is a wear mark.

Is there a problem with installing a second manifold gasket to space the
header out a little? I believe that this may be the source of an impossible
to locate occational 'squeak' that comes out of the engine compartment after
the car has run for a bit and we hit a dip or a speed bump. It seems that
flexing the suspension every which way can never duplicate the chirping
noise.

And before you ask, yes I am jealous that all you Socal types had such a
good time on the Ortega run yesterday :)

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600, waiting for parts