How to tell a water pump is working?

Subject: How to tell a water pump is working?
From: "The Hoovers" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:51:37 -0700
Nothing about our '64 1600 is easy!  We removed the old water pump.  It came
off easily, although the upper right bolt (the one directly underneath the
head) was caked with what looked like mud.

According to our research, the engine (from a '68) should have a newer pump,
but the flange where the fan attaches to looks like an older one.

Is there any way to tell if the old water pump is still working?  There have
been no leaks, and the fins inside turn freely when the shaft is turned.

Thanks!
Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, AZ
'64 SPL310 1500