O/T forklift engine conversion opinions, recommendations

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: O/T forklift engine conversion opinions, recommendations
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:50:26 -0800
This is O/T because it's a J15 for my PL411 (J13 stock engine) instead of
an H20 for my 1600 Roadster.  I pulled a J15 out of a truck in a wrecking
yard yesterday and took it right to the machine shop.  I have a couple of
questions about the engine; I want to make sure I get it built right and
not rebuilt for low-RPM forklift use.

I noticed the valves have one spring each, whereas my J13 has two
springs.  I think there were conversations about the two springs preventing
valve float at higher RPMs.  Is this correct?  The specs for the forklift
engine also specify a much tighter valve clearance (.010 vs. .014).  Is
that to compensate for the lower spring rate?

I didn't pull the head off but I believe the forklift piston is dished,
whereas my J13 piston is domed.  I'm trying to find out if the automotive
application of the J15 engine (used in the PL620 in some other countries)
uses domed pistons, and if so, how to get a set.  Anyone out there live in
a country where the J15 was put in cars or trucks?

Adam Bradley
'70 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL311-28181
'67 Datsun RL411 SSS sedan RL411-11321 (sold)
'66 Datsun PL411 sedan PL411-022447 (awaiting rebuilt J15)