kinda o/t engine question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: kinda o/t engine question
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:58:27 -0800
I'm having a Datsun J15 engine rebuilt for my PL411.  It was already bored
.020" over, and will be .030" (.75mm) when it's finished.  I believe this
means my bore will be 78.75mm instead of 78mm (standard), is that
correct?  If so, that means my displacement goes up from 1483cc to 1511cc
(78.75x77.6).  Does that sound right?

My question actually is one of compression.  Assuming the swept volume
increases 7cc per cylinder, does that also mean that, even without shaving
the head, my compression ratio goes up slightly?  Would the compressed
volume be the same size as original since the flattop piston should come
pretty much flush with the top of the engine?

Adam Bradley
'70 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL311-28181
'67 Datsun RL411 SSS sedan RL411-11321 (sold, awaiting transport)
'66 Datsun PL411 sedan PL411-022447 (awaiting rebuilt/bored/hotter cam/dual
SU J15)